Dunger Baptist Hospital (DBH) Mbem is the oldest institution of the CBCHS. It was started in 1936 as a dispensary by American missionaries led by Dr. Dunger to enable them treat the people of diseases like malaria as they evangelise. It was later transformed into a maternity and then into a health centre of the CBCHS in 1972.
In 1982, the health centre witnessed some improvements with more structures added including the Outpatient Department (OPD). It continued to offer services until 2005 that the CBC Director of Health Services (DHS) sent a request to Cameroon’s Ministry of Public Health for the health centre to be approved as a hospital. With feasibility studies done by the Nwa District Hospital, Dunger Baptist Hospital was later on approved on February 7, 2006. The CBCHS then named it in favour of Dr. Dunger.
Today with a staff strength of 23 including three screeners, DBH sees an average of 1000 patients every month. The supervising hospital, Banso Baptist Hospital (BBH) carries out a doctor’s support visit to DBH every other month. Notwithstanding, DBH is in great need of a resident medical doctor who can readily intervene and rescue serious health conditions brought to the hospital. The hospital operates 24/7 on a three shift system. Patients are received from within Mbem, distant villages like Ntim, Ntong and Mfunteh and from nearby villages like Rom, Gom, Ngung, Mbaw and Nwa.
- Daily Consultation of patients. Common diseases seen include malaria, pneumonia, gastritis, hypertension and HIV/AIDS.
- Pharmacy which mainly dispenses drugs
- Laboratory Services. Main tests done include HIV, Urinalysis and Stool, Malaria, Hepatitis and Diabetes Control.
- Treatment Room. Here, minor surgeries like circumcision are done and also suturing of wounds and dressing of wounds.
- Maternal Child Health Services like Antenatal Clinic (ANC), labour monitoring and deliveries (a monthly average of 15 deliveries conducted), postpartum care and Infant Welfare Clinic.
- Family Planning Services
- Registration where patients are received and payments are done.
Seriously ill clients seen at the OPD whose conditions require follow up are admitted in DBH. The hospital has 36 beds spread out in four wards namely: Female’s Ward, Men’s Ward, Paediatric Ward and Maternity Ward.
DBH is location in Mbem Village, Nwa Sub Division in Dunga Matung Division of the Northwest Region of Cameroon. It is found in the Mbem Health which falls under Nwa Health District.
Tel: +237 67034 4958